State of siege lifted in Peru mine region

AP News
|
Posted: Dec 16, 2011 4:01 PM
State of siege lifted in Peru mine region

Peru's government has lifted the state of emergency it declared last week in a northern region wracked by protests against the country's biggest mining project.

The government announcement late Thursday says "order had been re-established" in the four provinces of Cajamarca state where the 60-day emergency was declared Dec. 5.

The government says it will send a high-level delegation to resume dialogue with protest leaders led by Gov. Gregorio Santos.

He praised the decision on Friday, telling The Associated Press it was a "form of vindication for a very unjust act that never should have happened."

Protesters worry that the $4.8 billion Conga gold mine could taint and diminish their water supply.