A lawyer for the family of a murdered British girl has claimed that The News of The World tabloid hacked into her cell phone after she went missing.
Mark Lewis said Monday that the parents of 13-year-old Milly Dowler, who was abducted and slain in 2002, are pursuing a claim for damages from the Rupert Murdoch-owned tabloid.
Lewis says the hacking occurred when Dowler was first reported missing and could have jeopardized the police investigation.
The News of The World is at the center of a widening phone hacking scandal that so far mainly involved celebrities and public figures. The paper has admitted wrongdoing and reached cash settlements with some of the victims, including actress Sienna Miller.
Police and the tabloid's publishers News International declined to comment on the allegations.