Reid Ashe, executive vice president and chief operating officer of Media General was elected president of the Southern Newspaper Publishers Association on Monday at its annual News Industry Summit.
Ashe succeeds Steven R. Brandt, president and publisher of The Greenville News in Greenville, S.C., who was elected chairman of the SNPA Board of Directors.
David L. Thompson, president and publisher of The Oklahoman, Oklahoma City, was named president-elect. William O. Nutting, vice president of Ogden Newspapers, Wheeling, W.Va., was elected treasurer.
The SNPA Board of Directors consists of one director from each of the 14 SNPA states and four at-large directors. The terms of the 18 directors are three years. Elected were:
- At-Large: Ricky R. Mathews, president and publisher of the Press-Register, Mobile, Ala.
- At-Large: Joseph Pepe, president and publisher of The Commercial Appeal, Memphis, Tenn.
- At-Large: Robert J. Weil, vice president/operations of The McClatchy Co., Sacramento, Calif.
- Arkansas: Nathaniel Lea IV, vice president and general manager of the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, Little Rock.
- Florida: Diane H. McFarlin, publisher of the Sarasota Herald-Tribune.
- Kentucky: Scott C. Schurz Jr., president, editor and publisher of Advocate Communications, Inc., Danville.
- South Carolina: Kyle B. Osteen, co-president of Osteen Publishing Company, Sumter.
At its meeting on Sunday morning, the SNPA Board of Directors elected four trustees for the SNPA Foundation. They are:
- Donna Barrett, president and CEO, Community Newspaper Holdings, Inc., Birmingham, Ala.
- Brian G. Cooper, president and publisher, Cox Ohio Publishing, Dayton, Ohio.
- Stephen P. Hills, president and general manager, The Washington Post, Washington, D.C.
- Charles Hill Morris Jr., publisher of The Covington News, Covington, Ga.
The trustees, in turn, elected officers for the foundation. They are:
- Chairman: David M. Paxton, president and CEO of Paxton Media Group, Paducah, Ky.
- Vice Chairman: Taylor W. Hayes, publisher and CEO of the Kentucky New Era, Hopkinsville, Ky.
- Treasurer: Brian G. Cooper, president and publisher, Cox Ohio Publishing, Dayton, Ohio.
The Southern Newspaper Publishers Association, based in Atlanta, was established in 1903 to promote the interests of its members, which include daily and non-daily news publications, media vendors, retired industry executives and journalism schools.