Rite Aid blamed in Mich. man's death

AP News
Posted: Dec 22, 2009 1:24 PM

A Rite Aid pharmacy in suburban Detroit is accused of contributing to the death of a man who was given the wrong dose of a powerful drug for brain tumors.

John Sheridan of Troy died in October 2007, about a month after he began using a drug named Temodar.

A lawsuit filed on behalf of Sheridan's estate says a doctor prescribed too much of the drug and Rite Aid didn't catch the mistake. Sheridan took the medicine daily when it was only to be used every other week.

The lawsuit, filed last week in Wayne County Circuit Court, says Sheridan had consumed toxic doses.

A message seeking comment Tuesday was left with Rite Aid Corp., based in Camp Hill, Pa.

Lawyer Brian McKeen says the doctor who wrote the wrong prescription has settled with Sheridan's estate.