Here’s an easy take on a fancy dish to wow your friends and family with. And, it combines the powerful health benefits of both shiitake mushrooms and Brussels sprouts. Shiitake mushrooms not only are loaded with Vitamins B and D but also help fight obesity, support immune function, and destroy cancer cells, while Brussels sprouts hold Vitamins K, C, A, B-6 and lots of potassium. They can similarly fight cancer, improve bone health, manage diabetes, and keep you looking young!
- 1 pound shiitake mushrooms
- 2 cups dried kelp
- 2 ½ tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 2 ½ tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 ½ tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil + 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon low-sodium tamari (wheat-free alternative to soy sauce you can find in an Asian grocery; substitute low sodium soy sauce, if necessary)
- 2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon minced bird’s eye chilies
- 2 ½ tablespoons mirin (can substitute apple cider vinegar)
- 2 ½ cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 4 cups Brussels sprouts
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon finely shaved roasted chestnuts
- Set oven to 350 degrees F and line pan with parchment paper.
- Roast mushrooms in pan for 30 minutes. Remove and set aside. Roast kelp in the lined pan as well for 10 minutes.
- In processor, blend garlic, ginger, and 2 ½ tablespoons olive oil. Caramelize over heat on low. Stir often.
- Blend kelp and mushrooms in processor until minced.
- Add kelp/mushrooms mixture, tamari, sesame oil, chilies, mirin, and vegetable stock to the carmelized ginger and garlic. Cook 10 minutes on low. Season to taste. Set aside to cool.
- Set oven to 450 F. Clean Brussels sprouts and cut in half. Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast 10 minutes on baking sheet.
- Toss Brussels sprouts with prepared kelp/mushroom sauce and garnish with shaved chestnuts.
- Shitake Mushrooms: 8 Scientifically Proven Benefits
- Brussel Sprouts: Health Benefits and Nutritional Information
The post Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Shiitake Mushroom XO Sauce appeared first on Newport Natural Health.