LINCOLN, Neb. – Undeterred by his critics, Gov. Dave Heineman continues to press for answers from federal officials about the 214 unaccompanied immigrant children placed in Nebraska since October.
They are part of a flood of Central American children that have streamed across the nation’s southern border in recent years, overwhelming Texas facilities and the federal government. More than 57,000 children have illegally crossed the border since October — double the prior year and on course to triple.
Heineman wasn’t told of the kids’ placement with relatives and sponsors and has pressed federal officials for information on the children’s identity and whereabouts. On Wednesday, the governor told KTIC Radio he still hasn’t gotten the information requested earlier this month.