Attorney General Eric Holder spoke at the U.S. Conference of Mayors Friday and said the following (numbers are mine):
"This unspeakable tragedy but also the individual tragedies that take place on your streets and all (1) too often unnoticed stand as stark reminders of our shared responsibility to address not just the epidemic of gun related crimes and the (2) ongoing need for vigorous enforcement of our laws but also the underlying conditions that give rise to gun violence. Throughout our history, the overwhelming majority of American gun owners have been responsible, law abiding citizens, yet (3) we have repeatedly seen in the most tragic ways how easy it can be for dangerous people to acquire and to wreak havoc with deadly weapons. Although there is no single solution that can bring a decisive end to this senseless violence, it's incumbent upon each of us to try and it's time to consider (4) what common sense steps we can take together to save lives. This means (5) doing everything that we can to secure the tools and resources we need to keep guns out of the hands who are not and should not be allowed to possess them.
My rebuttal to statements in bold above:
(1) While Holder prepares to use all the powers of the Department of Justice and ATF to push through President Obama's new gun control agenda, he is more than happy to ignore Operation Fast and Furious. As a reminder, this was the DOJ program that allowed the deliberate trafficking of military style assault AK-47s to violent Mexican drug cartels south of the border. Let's not forget Holder has not only refused to cooperate with Congress when it comes to turning over documents about the lethal scandal (death toll is 400 people and counting), he's asked a court to indefinitely hold documents requested by Congress and through FOIA.
(2) Under Obama and Holder's leadership, prosecutions of gun related crimes are down by 40 percent.
(3) Holder argues, "we have repeatedly seen in the most tragic ways how easy it can be for dangerous people to acquire and to wreak havoc with deadly weapons." Yeah, like in Mexico as a result of his own DOJ program during which ATF and DOJ officials watched known criminals for an entire year purchase guns, guns they knew would then be transferred to violent Mexican cartels and used in murders.
(4) We can save lives by not deliberatly arming cold-blooded murderers, as Holder's DOJ did.
(5) Again, prosecutions of gun related crimes are down by 40 percent since George W. Bush was in office and the way you keep guns out the hands of people who shouldn't have them is to not hand them over in the first place (again, Operation Fast and Furious). Holder has the resources he needs available, he just hasn't been using them properly. The U.S. Attorney's offices around the country aren't doing their jobs and Holder isn't asking them to, instead, he has them working on pet political projects.
Here's Holder saying we need to crack down on "gun traffickers who help funnel weapons to dangerous criminals." Like DOJ? And the gun traffickers they used during Fast and Furious? Of course not.
One final note from my friend over at The Blaze, Meredith Jessup:
He was encouraging the federal government to crack down on Americans’ gun rights, not those of the Mexican drug cartels. And he said it with a straight face.
If you want an assault rifle, you’ll just have to get it from your local ATF office from now on. Tell them the Zetas sent you to get your 20%-off cartel coupon.
|Katie Pavlich is the News Editor at Townhall.com. Follow her on Twitter @katiepavlich. She is also the author of Fast and Furious: Barack Obama's Bloodiest Scandal and the Shameless Cover-Up.
“ABSOLUTELY DEVASTATING! Intrepid investigative journalist Katie Pavlich rips the lid off Team Obama’s murderous corruption and anti-Second Amendment zealotry" says Michelle Malkin.
"Katie Pavlich draws back the curtain on a radical administration that put Mexican and American lives at risk for no discernible reason other than to advance an ideological agenda." - David Limbaugh
Buy Katie's book today and help us keep the pressure on Obama and his attorney general Eric Holder and expose the cover-up.