As Boorstin explained, the pseudo-event was orchestrated and planned to receive maximum public attention, even if the event itself was really unimportant. Pseudo-events merely look important, because the media and the public agree to act as if they are. As Boorstin explained, the pseudo-event is not something that happens by...
That's a bunch of hooie, Joseph. There are two big problems with SS. First, the Feds spent the money on other programs. Money that I contributed for my old age seurity. Second, the Feds are giving SS payments to those who have never contributed, and likely never will contribute - aliens, children of a dead parent, spouses that never worked riding on the coat tails of the other spouse's earnings, and on and on.
Watching the American scene in the 1960s, historian Daniel Boorstin, invented the idea of the “pseudo-event.” The rise of television and modern mass media had produced a transformation of the news business, so that what now mattered was not if an event was important, but only if it was “newsworthy.”
- Putin: You’re next, Kazakhstan Noah Rothman 28 mins ago
- Scarborough: Obama saying he has no strategy against ISIS is a tactic straight out of “The Art of War” Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Ed Henry goes there: Why is Obama fundraising after admitting he has no ISIS strategy? Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Change: Obama set to delay executive amnesty until after the midterms? Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- End of an era: Chelsea Clinton leaves NBC Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Inside the collapse of Obama’s Syria ‘strategy’ Noah Rothman 3 hours ago