Dr. John Lott, author of "More Guns, Less Crime," reports that until the 1960s, some New York City public high schools had shooting clubs where students competed in citywide shooting contests for university scholarships. They carried their rifles to school on...
On one point at least I agree with Dr. Williams. Guns are not the problem. I don't think that any amount of gun control legislation would have stopped the shooting at Sandy Hook, and there are no measures which can return all the weapons out there back, so there is likely no legislation that can prevent these tragedies in the future. As much as it pains me to say so, such shootings are part or American life now. However, my beef is with his thoughts on sex-education. First, I dare anyone to find 5 well reviewed and non-partisan studies that show that abstinence only education works. It doesn't. Study after study shows that moralistic-wait-until-marriage abstinence programs have little to no impact on whether teens engage in pre-martial sex
When I attended primary and secondary school -- during the 1940s and '50s -- one didn't hear of the kind of shooting mayhem that's become routine today. Why? It surely wasn't because of strict firearm laws. My replica of the 1902 Sears mail-order catalog shows 35 pages of firearm advertisements. People just sent in their money, and a firearm was shipped.
- Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon: Darren Wilson must be vigorously prosecuted Allahpundit 41 mins ago
- Open thread: Semi-retired President to issue daily communique at 12:45 ET (pledged) Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- World Jewish Congress president asks, “Who will stand up for the Christians?” Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Police sources to NYT: Witnesses, forensics prove Wilson sustained an injury during his confrontation with Michael Brown Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- White House knew ISIS planned to kill James Foley Noah Rothman 3 hours ago
- Report: Qatar scuttled Gaza cease-fire for not having seat at Cairo table Ed Morrissey 4 hours ago