"In 1960, two-thirds (68%) of all twenty-somethings were married. In 2008, just 26% were." "To get a sense of how different attitudes were in the 1960s, perhaps this will do it. (M)arried women were asked, ‘In your opinion, do you think it is all right for a woman to have sexual relations before marriage...
Great article John. I could add another reason: all the attention that's given to gay marriage, homosexuality and the like and the less attention that's given to stable, healthy marriages. In my opinion, any time society and mostly the media focuses on one 'value' over another, the latter gets cheapened, less attractive, devalued, not thought of etc. One example, look at all the tv shows today that feature some form of homosexuality and where are the shows that show the Ward and june Cleavers or The Huxtables?
It's no secret that marriage has been in decline in America, but most people don't realize how quickly it has been crumbling. The numbers are staggering and the sea change in attitude that has gone along with them would shock previous generations of Americans.
- Poll: 55% of Americans under age 35 oppose sanctions on Russia Allahpundit 14 minutes ago
- Video: C’mon, America, let’s ban the word “bossy” Allahpundit 53 minutes ago
- Sharyl Attkisson resigns from CBS, partly due to “liberal bias” Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- The Ed Morrissey Show: CPAC review, Lisa De Pasquale Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Ron Paul: Crimea has the right to join Russia, and U.S. sanctions would be “criminal” Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- CPAC interviews: The candidates Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago