Stirrings of Secession

Yan5 Wrote: Dec 02, 2012 11:35 AM
'whenever the dissolution of the Union arrives, America will have reason to exclaim, in the words of the poet, "FAREWELL! A LONG FAREWELL TO ALL MY GREATNESS." --John Jay, Federalist No. 3 Whether it were legal or not, secession is a BAD IDEA.

Is the Personhood Movement Really Pro-Life?

Yan5 Wrote: Jun 28, 2012 1:14 PM
peaceman, if the Soul is making a choice, how would you know this? You are equivocating on the meaning of choice. What you are saying is, even if I don't know it, my Soul is making a choice. Obviously, that is a conclusion which you think is a rational inference that you have drawn by stepping back from all experience. I disagree, because as I stated earlier, your point of view implies that an individual life is not worth as much as I believe it to be worth. I know when my Soul makes a choice, when I know that I make a choice. My soul is me, not some foreign thing that operates without my knowledge. If you are right, human choices are irrelevant. My experience leads me to the opposite conclusion: EVERY choice is relevant.

Is the Personhood Movement Really Pro-Life?

Yan5 Wrote: Jun 27, 2012 11:41 PM
Just take them out behind the barn and shoot them, eh? Hitler thought the same way as you. Every human being, no matter how damaged, deserves love and respect and to be treated as an end in itself, not to be thrown out with the trash because it's too hard for you to take care of the person.

Is the Personhood Movement Really Pro-Life?

Yan5 Wrote: Jun 27, 2012 11:32 PM
It's not surprising that if you think god = nature that you should not be able to understand that of all creatures only humans have the ability to act guiltily or innocently, and that human society should recompense people according to their guilt or innocence. The innocent don't deserve to be killed.

Is the Personhood Movement Really Pro-Life?

Yan5 Wrote: Jun 27, 2012 11:24 PM
Ah yes, you worship the god of Spinoza I presume.

Is the Personhood Movement Really Pro-Life?

Yan5 Wrote: Jun 25, 2012 8:19 PM
I think that if every Christian in this country would quit self-righteously bemoaning how evil America has become and instead wake up a little early on every Saturday morning to go and pray in front of an abortion mill, the crowds would be so enormous that abortion mills would shut down across the country. If you think that is too difficult, tell it to the souls that died as a result of your laziness when you get to the pearly gates.

Is the Personhood Movement Really Pro-Life?

Yan5 Wrote: Jun 25, 2012 8:05 PM
Um, may I will point out that the unborn child is not making the choice. Does that matter to you? And how do you or anyone, including any mother, know what the future will hold for a particular life, so that they should be entitled to make the decision whether that child lives or dies? Your philosophy, or religion, trivializes human life, peaceman, and makes people want to slit their throats if it is a rainy day outside.

Is the Personhood Movement Really Pro-Life?

Yan5 Wrote: Jun 25, 2012 8:04 PM

Is the Personhood Movement Really Pro-Life?

Yan5 Wrote: Jun 25, 2012 7:55 PM
According to the Supreme Court, which decides whether a right is in the Constitution or not, it is impliedly found somewhere amongst our liberty and privacy interests. Don't ask me to defend the logic or the jurisprudence. It doesn't matter. Once the Court says it is so, only the Court or a constitutional amendment can say it is no longer so. If you want to be ruled by the Constitution, then that is the only way available to you to change the Constitution. So forget about personhood amendments and get serious about changing people's minds about abortion, so we can pass a constitutional amendment and/or get pro-life presidents elected who will appoint justices to overrule Roe.

Is the Personhood Movement Really Pro-Life?

Yan5 Wrote: Jun 25, 2012 7:50 PM
In the immortal words of the Big lebowski: yah, well, that's just like, your opinion, man.

Is the Personhood Movement Really Pro-Life?

Yan5 Wrote: Jun 25, 2012 7:48 PM
So you are saying we should pass laws that we know to be unconstitutional and that doing so is justified because it increases public awareness. The primary public awareness that is increased by such cynical shenanigans is that of skepticism toward the legitimacy, morality and intelligence of pro life people. For shame.