However, this intrinsic tension is distorted and magnified when the government starts choosing religions it will protect and religions it will allow to be sacrificed in the name of egalitarianism or as an attempt to make up for...
That would be the Gingrich approach, and I like it.
An intrinsic tension exists between religious freedom and the machinations of government. This is largely because neither men nor the governments men form are wholly free from evil. Thus James Madison’s timeless statement in Federalist 51: “If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary.”
- Next co-host of “The View”: Meghan McCain? Allahpundit 6 hours ago
- ObamaCare premiums in MN heading for double-digit increases? Ed Morrissey 6 hours ago
- Finally: Obama nominated for his first Emmy Allahpundit 7 hours ago
- IRS employee suspended for urging taxpayers to ‘reelect President Obama’ Noah Rothman 8 hours ago
- TEMS Thursday: Duane Patterson, Shannon Goessling, Kurt Schlichter Ed Morrissey 8 hours ago
- Video: Unhinged pro-abortion protester knows little about human biology … or criminal law Ed Morrissey 8 hours ago