DAKAR, Senegal (AP) — Obama says the Supreme Court "made a mistake" in voting rights ruling .
Not even close. The implications of striking down Section 4 are immediate and drastic--the total inoperability of Section 5 that relies on Sec. 4 to establish which states must submit to Sec. 5 preclearance. Without an amendment from Congress, which seems unlikely in the House, the most successful piece of legislation in American history will be destroyed. And it took Texas a whole day to start rolling back protections. This is EXACTLY why preclearance was so necessary to begin with.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 5 hours ago
- WMD in Iraq a rather nuanced issue Ed Morrissey 6 hours ago
- Perry: Rand Paul’s position on Iraq is “disheartening … curiously blind” Ed Morrissey 8 hours ago
- Joni Ernst will miss two weeks on the campaign trail… to serve in uniform Jazz Shaw 9 hours ago
- UN Security Council issues non-binding call for cease fire in Gaza Ed Morrissey 11 hours ago
- UAW decides to skip election and form union at VW anyway Jazz Shaw 12 hours ago