DAKAR, Senegal (AP) — Obama says the Supreme Court "made a mistake" in voting rights ruling .
Not even close. The implications of striking down Section 4 are immediate and drastic--the total inoperability of Section 5 that relies on Sec. 4 to establish which states must submit to Sec. 5 preclearance. Without an amendment from Congress, which seems unlikely in the House, the most successful piece of legislation in American history will be destroyed. And it took Texas a whole day to start rolling back protections. This is EXACTLY why preclearance was so necessary to begin with.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- By the way: U.S. troops have landed in West Africa to fight Ebola Mary Katharine Ham 5 hours ago
- Cheer up, Eric Holder: You’re only the third-most-hated Obama Cabinet official Noah Rothman 5 hours ago
- Hot Air returns to the Vatican Ed Morrissey 6 hours ago
- Rand Paul’s become acceptably hawkish for a prospective GOP nominee, says … John McCain Allahpundit 7 hours ago
- State’s Marie Harf: ISIS couldn’t even have predicted how powerful ISIS would become Noah Rothman 7 hours ago