If my inbox is any indication, a lot of Americans apparently believe that an amendment to the Constitution would be necessary to privatize the U.S. Postal Service. That is simply not true.
Article 1, Section 8 says that [The Congress shall have the power] to establish Post Offices and Post Roads. It does not say that the federal government shall have the exclusive power to deliver mail. Nor does it require that the mail be delivered by an agent of the federal government to every home in the country, six days a week.
In a 1996 Cato book,
- Oddly, the IRS didn’t seem interested in large 501s Ed Morrissey 31 minutes ago
- Google Glass. Creepy privacy invasion or the new normal? Jazz Shaw 2 hours ago
- Video: Gas prices hit $4.39 a gallon in the Twin Cities Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- “Mass demonstration” at Ft. Meade supporting Manning Jazz Shaw 5 hours ago
- North Korea fires three short-range missiles as Japan envoy pays “secret” visit Ed Morrissey 6 hours ago
- DC firm shaking down Chevron learns lesson about poking the bear Jazz Shaw 8 hours ago