It's official. Taxpayers are no longer simply helping the poor, they're subsidizing the lives of welfare recipients at a better rate than their own. The Senate Budget Committee has released a report showing households living below the poverty line and receiving welfare payments are raking in the equivalent of $168 per day in benefits which come in the form of food stamps, housing, childcare, healthcare and more. The median household income in 2011 was $50,054, totaling $137.13 per day. The worst part? Welfare payments are equivalent to making $30 per hour for 40 hours a week. The median wage for...
I've been saying this for years. The "low income housing" in our city is in expensive apartments. Then add free food, free healthcare, free education, and all the donations from the community to help the "poor" and you have the poor better off than a lot of the middle class. Financially they appear to be living similar to their neighbors who are paying their own bills. Yet, the crime coming out of the low income housing is significantly higher than average. I don't know how it can be blamed on "poverty." They aren't living in poverty.
- CBO revises estimate, warns U.S. economic growth will underwhelm in 2014 Noah Rothman 17 mins ago
- VA customer relations training equates vets angry over care with … Oscar the Grouch Ed Morrissey 57 mins ago
- ESPN apologizes for reporting on whether Michael Sam is showering with his teammates after practice Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- YouGov poll: Majority thinks it’s unfair to criticize presidents for playing golf Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Video: “I suddenly remember how good the American people are …” Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Jubilation: Israel and Syria trade fire as Islamists seize territory along tense border Noah Rothman 3 hours ago