It's official. Taxpayers are no longer simply helping the poor, they're subsidizing the lives of welfare recipients at a better rate than their own. The Senate Budget Committee has released a report showing households living below the poverty line and receiving welfare payments are raking in the equivalent of $168 per day in benefits which come in the form of food stamps, housing, childcare, healthcare and more. The median household income in 2011 was $50,054, totaling $137.13 per day. The worst part? Welfare payments are equivalent to making $30 per hour for 40 hours a week. The median wage for...
I've been saying this for years. The "low income housing" in our city is in expensive apartments. Then add free food, free healthcare, free education, and all the donations from the community to help the "poor" and you have the poor better off than a lot of the middle class. Financially they appear to be living similar to their neighbors who are paying their own bills. Yet, the crime coming out of the low income housing is significantly higher than average. I don't know how it can be blamed on "poverty." They aren't living in poverty.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 7 hours ago
- Video: Nothing to see here: Obama is “Faithfully executing the laws” Jazz Shaw 9 hours ago
- Congressman Bob Goodlattte assures us that there is no impeachment in the offing Jazz Shaw 10 hours ago
- The border crisis isn’t Obama’s Katrina – it’s worse Noah Rothman 12 hours ago
- Uh oh: Moscow claims Ukraine attack inside Russian territory killed civilians Noah Rothman 13 hours ago
- The Lerner Files: “smidgens upon smidgens” of corruption Jazz Shaw 15 hours ago