The rationale for such limits is that mass murderers need "large-capacity" magazines, while law-abiding citizens don't. Both premises are questionable, and so is the notion that politicians should be the arbiters of necessity under the...
In response to:
I've heard pundits claim that by limiting magazine capacity an aggressor may be challenged during a reload operation. I admit I have had many hours of practice, but I can fire 12 rounds from a S&W six shot model 10 revolver into the 10 ring of a combat target in something a little less than 9 seconds. That entails a full reload with a speed loader which takes me approximately 1-1/2 seconds. That means that from shot number 6, which has emptied the pistol, to shot number 7 (cylinder fully loaded again) 1-1/2 seconds has elapsed. Not much time to engage the assailant while he's reloading. [W3]
A limit on magazine capacity is emerging as a leading contender for the something that supposedly must be done in response to last month's massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn. A ban on "large-capacity ammunition feeding devices" is one of the new gun restrictions approved by the New York legislature this week and one of the measures President Obama wants Congress to enact.
- In New York City, a safety regulation makes the streets less safe Mary Katharine Ham 10 mins ago
- Federal investigators find no connection between Christie and Bridgegate Ed Morrissey 50 mins ago
- Boehner: You know what would help our economy? Immigration reform Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- White House: It’s not combat, but US troops will return fire if they’re shot at… Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Stemwinder: Rand Paul rips Obama’s Syria plan, McCain, Kerry, Hillary, interventionists, anti-war hypocrites, you name it Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Congressman: The CIA thinks Obama’s strategy of arming Syrian moderates is “doomed to failure” Allahpundit 3 hours ago