Gay Marriage and the Limits of Tradition

wolfpat Wrote: Aug 31, 2014 9:09 AM
If what we're talking about is tradition, that's not reason enough to change these laws. What we're really talking about is changing the definition of words to suit the current whims of a small segment of society. Let us face simple facts: In spite of what we're told, there is scant evidence (none conclusive) for homosexuality being genetic. Even if it were, it is still an aberration. Do we want to change the dictionary to accommodate a few people whose behavior is aberrant? I have absolutely no opposition to a civil union of some kind. It makes a lot of sense to have the one person you trust to handle your affairs if you're incapacitated, or to be able to combine financial resources. But to call it "Marriage" is to try to force a societal acceptance that may or may not be forthcoming on its own merits. In other words, they want to have the weight of the law to force you to see as normal something you may not think is normal.

Minds in the Dumps

wolfpat Wrote: Aug 30, 2014 1:31 PM
Too many have been brainwashed to think that the federal government is actually capable of helping people. They vote for these socialists to do good by proxy. The problem is that they don't see, or don't pay attention to the damage that ensues from having these reprobates in office.
Never attribute to malice that which is more easily explained by stupidity.
I wish I had written this. Thank you Gunny. And thank you for your service.
I don't demand that my Republican representatives parrot my every opinion. I have only two non-negotiable issues: illegal immigration, and global climate change. We can discuss everything else. But what I do demand is that they at least UNDERSTAND what my positions are. Mitt Romney lost because he displayed NO sign of understanding what the conservative/tea partiers were advocating. The Republicans who've lost their primaries have also shown no understanding. If the Establishment Republicans disagree with me, then they should offer some cogent arguments as to why, and be willing to listen to my rebuttals.

Minds in the Dumps

wolfpat Wrote: Aug 30, 2014 7:54 AM
"...housing is coming back, and unemployment is plunging..." Yeah, that's what the government statisticians say. But there are more store fronts boarded up than I can ever remember. And even though I am a skilled technician, I do not see as many job openings advertised as there once were. I guess it boils down to this: who are you going to believe, your government or your lying eyes?

Western Anti-Semitism

wolfpat Wrote: Aug 06, 2014 8:12 AM
How about we check out the inventions the Arabs gave to the world. They were great, and they were all invented before the advent of Islam. They've done little of value since.

Who'll Build the Roads?

wolfpat Wrote: Jul 16, 2014 8:44 AM
I Raleigh, the only time I've seen the city buses full is when the State Fair comes to town. They offer a Park N Ride service that allows you to skip the impossible Fair traffic. This suggests to me that if they quit building new roads, they'll get congested enough to make mass transit preferable, as long as the mass transit is going where people want to go.

Who'll Build the Roads?

wolfpat Wrote: Jul 16, 2014 8:40 AM
People don't realize that skinning your knee is preferable to having your knees cut out from beneath you.
Maybe I'm misreading you, but I think you're suggesting there's some support for McCain here. I don't think you'll find it. For Conservatives, McCain was our next-to-last choice for President. If the Republican party had chosen ANYONE else, Obama probably wouldn't have won.