There are two main reasons for this resistance -- one strategic, the other ideological. Neither is persuasive, even from a progressive point of view, at a time when trillion-dollar deficits are the norm and publicly held federal debt is projected to reach 150 percent of gross domestic product...
Since Republicans are pushing entitlement reform and Democrats like taking money from rich people, you might think they could agree on means-testing Medicare and Social Security as part of a deficit reduction deal. Yet many Democrats are surprisingly hostile to the idea of tailoring these programs to help people who actually need them.
- Video: Feds bust prep-school drug ring Ed Morrissey 30 minutes ago
- Has al-Qaeda taken over a secret US base in Libya? Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- NYT poll shows Pryor up 10 in Arkansas Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Lavrov: Russia will respond in Ukraine if interests “attacked” … like we did in 2008 Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- WaPo columnist: Home ownership is a lousy investment Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 12 hours ago