The best way to get people to use less and produce more is to allow prices to rise. For example, say a...
"Walter Williams and Thomas Sowell are smarter than all liberals and socialists combined." - Kerry This doesn't bother you? "The founders of our nation held a deep abhorrence for democracy and majority rule." - Walter Williams How do you reconcile that with this? "The fundamental principle of the government is that the will of the majority is to prevail." --Thomas Jefferson to William Eustis, 1809. And this - "And where else will [Hume,] this degenerate son of science, this traitor to his fellow men, find the origin of just powers, if not in the majority of the society? Will it be in the minority? Or in an individual of that minority?" -- Thomas Jefferson l Or do you just blank 'em out like the typical rightwinger?
Here's a question: If there's a disaster, a war, a severe drought or some other calamity that restricts future supplies of a commodity -- such as oil, coffee or corn -- what is the intelligent thing for people to do right away? If you said "use less now and try to produce more," you'd be absolutely correct. That's not rocket science, but understanding the machinery involved in getting people to do so is a bit more challenging.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 8 hours ago
- Hensarling: It’s time to end the Ex-Im Bank Ed Morrissey 10 hours ago
- Got room for one more crisis? In Pakistan, protesters threaten government’s stability Noah Rothman 12 hours ago
- Engel: Military officials “apoplectic” over Obama’s “no-strategy” comment Ed Morrissey 14 hours ago
- The Democratic revolt continues: Key senator calls for Obama to arm Ukraine Noah Rothman 16 hours ago
- Nearly two years after Benghazi, American embassy in Libya’s capital falls to Islamists Noah Rothman 18 hours ago