Recently, Jay Michaelson wrote a piece for The Daily Beast titled “The ‘Religious Liberty’ Bullies and Their Fight Against LGBT Equality.” In it, he suggests that those who oppose same-sex marriage for religious reasons are the same as the racists who opposed desegregation laws. He calls those who protect religious liberty, and who therefore are willing to stick up for the rights of religious people who oppose same-sex marriage, insincere and “racist,” as well. “Today is a different age—but the players, and the rhetoric, are the same,” he states. Later on, he says that defenders of religious liberty are “simply repurposing...
I said over 10 years ago that we were fighting the wrong battle. Gays have always been able to be "married". Years ago, many states started civil unions, to assure equal rights. That did nothing to stop the real goal, having government redefine marriage. The proper fight was to have govt get out of "marriage" completely and only issue civil contracts. Each individual has a first and 9th amendment right to define marriage for themselves without govt interference. The govt has the authority to administer civil contracts and they must be available to all consenting adults whether they have sex with each other or not. Govt defined marriage discriminates against those who do not wish to "marry", in the name of equality
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- Of course: 2014 Obama’s position on Ex-Im Bank is the opposite of 2008 Obama’s Mary Katharine Ham 5 hours ago
- Wes Clark: Clinton had an opportunity to go in on the ground to get Bin Laden but it was “a lot of logistics” Allahpundit 6 hours ago
- I guess we need to talk about Joe Biden skinny dipping, huh? Allahpundit 6 hours ago
- Obama: This congressional deadlock on immigration means “I’m going to have to act alone” Allahpundit 7 hours ago
- TEMS Friday: Guest hosting the Hugh Hewitt Show Ed Morrissey 7 hours ago