Recently, Jay Michaelson wrote a piece for The Daily Beast titled “The ‘Religious Liberty’ Bullies and Their Fight Against LGBT Equality.” In it, he suggests that those who oppose same-sex marriage for religious reasons are the same as the racists who opposed desegregation laws. He calls those who protect religious liberty, and who therefore are willing to stick up for the rights of religious people who oppose same-sex marriage, insincere and “racist,” as well. “Today is a different age—but the players, and the rhetoric, are the same,” he states. Later on, he says that defenders of religious liberty are “simply repurposing...
I said over 10 years ago that we were fighting the wrong battle. Gays have always been able to be "married". Years ago, many states started civil unions, to assure equal rights. That did nothing to stop the real goal, having government redefine marriage. The proper fight was to have govt get out of "marriage" completely and only issue civil contracts. Each individual has a first and 9th amendment right to define marriage for themselves without govt interference. The govt has the authority to administer civil contracts and they must be available to all consenting adults whether they have sex with each other or not. Govt defined marriage discriminates against those who do not wish to "marry", in the name of equality
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 57 mins ago
- Video: Sharyl Attkisson wants to know where the illegal immigrant children have gone Jazz Shaw 2 hours ago
- Video: Cruz presser at AFP summit Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Video: Pete Hegseth on VA scandal, ISIS threat at AFP’s Defending the Dream summit Ed Morrissey 5 hours ago
- California Dem moves to outlaw some civilian body armor Jazz Shaw 6 hours ago
- Don’t count Rob Ford out just yet Jazz Shaw 8 hours ago