October 2012 marked a significant event for the S&P 500 - the first time since 1999 that there were more than 400 dividend paying companies in the index!
But what affects the number of companies that pay dividends?
To answer that question, we turned to Standard and Poor's Dividends and Payers report [Excel spreadsheet], which provides the data for the number of dividend paying companies in the S&P for each year since 1980. We've taken that data, combined it with some significant milestones and presented it in the chart below (which is...
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 7 hours ago
- Sotloff “fixer”: Americans never contacted me after his abduction Ed Morrissey 7 hours ago
- David Cameron to Scotland: Baby, don’t go. Mary Katharine Ham 8 hours ago
- Confirmed: You can tell someone’s politics by their body odor Allahpundit 9 hours ago
- Oh my: I think Romney’s going to run, says top Wall Street backer Allahpundit 10 hours ago
- Election forecasters bearish on GOP? Senate models looking more Democratic by the day Noah Rothman 10 hours ago