How true, but I would take the football analogy one step further. At some point in 2012, probably after the first debate, Mitt Romney thought he had the election won, and from that point on, he played 'prevent defense.'

65 Million Reasons for Optimism

William Gensert Wrote: Apr 04, 2014 4:49 AM
I wholeheartedly agree Mr. Rasmussen. America is blessed with an abundance of natural resources and human capital. I wrote an article a couple of years back maintaining that the 21st century will be an American century just as the 20th was. Recently, I've been trying to write about the prospect and I have to admit, after 5 years of Barack Obama, it has been hard for me to do so. I'm stuck at 400 words and every time I try to go back to it, I find I can't. Conservatives like myself are shell-shocked, but I still believe the best days for America lie ahead. We simply need faith and the willingness to fight for what is in reality, humanity's best hope for the future.

Opening Day 2014

William Gensert Wrote: Mar 31, 2014 10:32 PM
With my son it was movies. We went to many and still discuss them often.

Technology is not Wisdom

William Gensert Wrote: Mar 20, 2014 6:55 AM
Let's not forget the success of our high-tech presidency, with its smart power and new way of doing things. That's worked out well, hasn't it?
In my Italian, Bronx neighborhood, no one puts Parmesan on his pasta. We use grated Romano.
The USPS is an example of a failed business model. They are obligated by law, when faced with the decline in demand for its most popular product, first class mail, to raise the price. Increasing the price of a product does not hurt demand, does it?

The Value of Life Decreases

William Gensert Wrote: Mar 10, 2014 11:03 AM
I grew up and still live in the Bronx. In the 1970s I owned an ice cream truck in the Throggs Neck Projects. I spent most of my time there and made many friends, two of whom remain family to this day -- both are woman, one an ex and the other, I have introduced as my sister for decades. Both are black, and I am a pasty faced white boy. I made many other friends as well, Spanish and black. Although we no longer associate, most of the Spanish ones are still alive and well. All of my black, male friends from the 1970s are dead, by drugs murder or their own hand.
I'm sorry, but I disagree, the troops on the border were merely sleight of hand, a distraction. Putin wanted his warm water port and he got it. Depending on how he feels, the next target will be Odessa, where Ukraine has been studying the feasibility of LNG importation facilities. He will not tolerate Ukraine energy independence.

Ukraine and the Return of the KGB

William Gensert Wrote: Mar 06, 2014 11:48 AM
"History repeats itself, first as tragedy, then as farce." Karl Marx

Squeegee People

William Gensert Wrote: Mar 03, 2014 9:42 AM
How true, I remember and I still live in New York. Although, I have to say I never had an issue with them, and the rumors of them extorting we're overblown even then. People are by nature are very generous and they could do well even without compulsory contributions from the ungenerous. If anything, as the years have passed, the beggars have gotten much less aggressive. You see them nowadays mostly outside banks in my area.