Jon Hammar, a former Marine who served in Afghanistan and Iraq, is being held in a notorious Mexican prison where Zetas gang members hold power. His crime? Declaring an antique shotgun to Mexican officials after registering the gun with U.S. Customs Agents on his way to Costa Rica. Hammar has been in a prison in Mexico for months now and this week, his parents got an extortion call demanding they wire thousands of dollars to the prison. Hammar spoke to his parents on the phone, saying he thought he was going to be killed. Hammar has been tortured during his...
In response to:
Katie, there are a few typos in the article. Costa Rice particularly jumped out at me. I agree that carrying the gun in wasn't smart but the punishment doesn't fit the crime. The Mexican authorities should have turned him away. The fact that his parents have been asked to pay a ransom probably speaks more to the reason of why he was held and imprisoned.
- New solution to border crisis: Send U.S. officials to Honduras to give kids refugee status? Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Boehner accuses White House of sabotaging Veterans Affairs bill Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- NFL suspends Ray Rice for two games in domestic-assault case Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Great news from Hillary: The Russian reset worked Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- Thursday TEMS: Duane Patterson, Daniel Garza, Mike McFadden Ed Morrissey 4 hours ago
- FEC Chairman sounds alarm to Hot Air: There’s a ‘move afoot to constrict press freedoms’ Noah Rothman 4 hours ago