Some economists and legal scholars have suggested that the “platinum coin option” is one way to defuse a crisis if Congress can’t or won’t lift the debt ceiling soon. At least in theory. The U.S. government is, after all, facing a real problem. The Treasury Department will hit its $16.4 trillion borrowing limit by next February at the latest. Unless Congress reaches an agreement to raise that borrowing limit, the government will no longer be able...
In response to:
We may as well get use to this. If the government can just create worthless money like that on a whim, it is just a matter of time before it is ALL worthless. Then we the people will be back to bartering with rocks like the cavemen. Platinum coins will just be a preview of what is coming for all of us if liberals continue to have their way.
- WaPo: Was Foley’s killer a former Gitmo detainee? Ed Morrissey 49 mins ago
- Everything has changed after the execution of James Foley by ISIS Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 10 hours ago
- There will be nothing from the president tonight on the beheading of an American journalist Update: Statement tomorrow Mary Katharine Ham 11 hours ago
- Spot the problems with these headlines: NYT edition Mary Katharine Ham 12 hours ago
- Video: The day John McCain did the robot Allahpundit 13 hours ago