Within the next few months, Justice Anthony Kennedy will likely rule that same-sex marriage is mandated by the Constitution of the United States. The ruling will offend both common sense and Constitutional law. But it will nonetheless become the law of the land. With it, states will be forced to recognize same-sex marriages; same-sex marriage will enter the public school lexicon; religious institutions will be forced to recognize same-sex marriages or lose their tax-exempt status. Religious Americans will be forced into violating their beliefs or facing legal consequences by the government. The First Amendment's guarantee of religious liberty will largely become...
In response to:
Written by a man. No rational woman with any sense of dignity would shack up and reproduce with a man on the basis of an individual contract. It has no legitimacy, no respect, and NO OBJECTIVITY. If we are to discard the concept marriage, then we by definition have to look at them piecemeal, with no common principles to guide legal judgments with respect to them. So Mary's husband can make decisions for her when she gets ill - unless, of course, a family member sues and claims that Mary never intended that for this particular medical condition. And who is to say otherwise? It's just an individual contract, not a marriage. How can we know what Mary intended? We cannot assume wifely intentions. If we did, then it would be a marriage.
- New solution to border crisis: Send U.S. officials to Honduras to give kids refugee status? Allahpundit Jul 24, 2014
- Boehner accuses White House of sabotaging Veterans Affairs bill Noah Rothman Jul 24, 2014
- NFL suspends Ray Rice for two games in domestic-assault case Ed Morrissey Jul 24, 2014
- Great news from Hillary: The Russian reset worked Allahpundit Jul 24, 2014
- Thursday TEMS: Duane Patterson, Daniel Garza, Mike McFadden Ed Morrissey Jul 24, 2014
- FEC Chairman sounds alarm to Hot Air: There’s a ‘move afoot to constrict press freedoms’ Noah Rothman Jul 24, 2014