Within the next few months, Justice Anthony Kennedy will likely rule that same-sex marriage is mandated by the Constitution of the United States. The ruling will offend both common sense and Constitutional law. But it will nonetheless become the law of the land. With it, states will be forced to recognize same-sex marriages; same-sex marriage will enter the public school lexicon; religious institutions will be forced to recognize same-sex marriages or lose their tax-exempt status. Religious Americans will be forced into violating their beliefs or facing legal consequences by the government. The First Amendment's guarantee of religious liberty will largely become...
In response to:
Written by a man. No rational woman with any sense of dignity would shack up and reproduce with a man on the basis of an individual contract. It has no legitimacy, no respect, and NO OBJECTIVITY. If we are to discard the concept marriage, then we by definition have to look at them piecemeal, with no common principles to guide legal judgments with respect to them. So Mary's husband can make decisions for her when she gets ill - unless, of course, a family member sues and claims that Mary never intended that for this particular medical condition. And who is to say otherwise? It's just an individual contract, not a marriage. How can we know what Mary intended? We cannot assume wifely intentions. If we did, then it would be a marriage.
- NBC wonders: What makes David Gregory tick? Ed Morrissey 32 minutes ago
- Ukraine Easter truce collapses, three dead at pro-Russian separatist checkpoint Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Attkisson: CBS News too “ideologically entrenched” to air stories critical of the Obama administration Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- DNC chairwoman: What, politics influencing the president’s Keystone XL delay? Nahhh. Erika Johnsen 15 hours ago
- Oklahoma will charge homeowners who generate their own power Jazz Shaw 18 hours ago
- Modern tales of the Good Samaritan Jazz Shaw 21 hours ago