Last week, I appeared on CNN's "Piers Morgan Tonight." For the past few weeks, Morgan had been inviting gun rights defenders ranging from the reasonable to the nutty, and then slamming them by appealing to the memory of the children slain at Sandy Hook. And when I appeared with Morgan, that's precisely what I told him: "What you tend to do is you tend to demonize people who differ from you politically by standing on the graves of the children of Sandy Hook, saying they don't seem to care enough about the dead kids." Morgan could only stammer, "How dare...
Yes, it is what is driving the argument, but shouldn't mature, rational discussion look beyond that? Nobody is saying to forget them. Rather, the issue is that emotionalizing the issue doesn't actually end up solving the problem - it simply raises the temperature but provides no illumination. I didn't realize it was so difficult to understand that a solution is only reached when we can dispassionately use our intelligence and reason to dissect the problem.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 8 hours ago
- Citizen legislator Sen. Mary Landrieu doesn’t really live in Louisiana Mary Katharine Ham 8 hours ago
- Democrats go after Republican for self-defense measure he took…14 years ago Matt Vespa 9 hours ago
- Rubio: If I had to vote again on my Gang of Eight immigration bill, I’d vote no Allahpundit 10 hours ago
- Obama lets another red line lapse in Ukraine, and the consequences will be dire Noah Rothman 10 hours ago
- Heartache for lefties: Elizabeth Warren defends Israel at Massachusetts town hall Allahpundit 11 hours ago