Last week, I appeared on CNN's "Piers Morgan Tonight." For the past few weeks, Morgan had been inviting gun rights defenders ranging from the reasonable to the nutty, and then slamming them by appealing to the memory of the children slain at Sandy Hook. And when I appeared with Morgan, that's precisely what I told him: "What you tend to do is you tend to demonize people who differ from you politically by standing on the graves of the children of Sandy Hook, saying they don't seem to care enough about the dead kids." Morgan could only stammer, "How dare...
Yes, it is what is driving the argument, but shouldn't mature, rational discussion look beyond that? Nobody is saying to forget them. Rather, the issue is that emotionalizing the issue doesn't actually end up solving the problem - it simply raises the temperature but provides no illumination. I didn't realize it was so difficult to understand that a solution is only reached when we can dispassionately use our intelligence and reason to dissect the problem.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- GAO to audit Oregon’s failed ObamaCare exchange site Mary Katharine Ham 2 hours ago
- Video: Chris Matthews attempts a do-over during his live show Mary Katharine Ham 3 hours ago
- FL-13 special election: Jolly wins! Erika Johnsen 3 hours ago
- Finally: “Frozen,” the honest trailer Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- Union leaders: Man, this Keystone XL decision just “reeks of politics” Erika Johnsen 5 hours ago