Economists may not agree on much, but we all agree that economic output is a function of capital and labor. Ask a Keynesian, a Marxist, an Austrian, a monetarist, or any economist, and they’ll all agree that living standards are determined by the quality and quantity of these two factors of production.
So it should be very worrisome that there has been a big drop in the share of the population that is employed. Here’s a chart produced from Bureau of Labor Statistics data, showing labor force participation during the 21st Century.
- Venezuelan protesters digging in for the long haul Erika Johnsen 33 minutes ago
- “Walking Dead” grumble thread: Maybe we should talk about “True Detective” instead Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Finally: Young liberals ready to explain the news to America Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- White House on Democrats’ global-warming talkathon: We salute you Erika Johnsen 2 hours ago
- Poll: 55% of Americans under age 35 oppose sanctions on Russia Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Video: C’mon, America, let’s ban the word “bossy” Allahpundit 3 hours ago