Economists may not agree on much, but we all agree that economic output is a function of capital and labor. Ask a Keynesian, a Marxist, an Austrian, a monetarist, or any economist, and they’ll all agree that living standards are determined by the quality and quantity of these two factors of production.
So it should be very worrisome that there has been a big drop in the share of the population that is employed. Here’s a chart produced from Bureau of Labor Statistics data, showing labor force participation during the 21st Century.
- WH to reporters: Don’t talk to people attending Mary Burke rally Ed Morrissey 24 mins ago
- Chris Matthews: Didn’t Obama tell us it was “unlikely” Ebola would come to America? Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Video: Cop tases 62-year-old woman — while she’s walking away from him Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- US: Our collateral damage policies don’t apply to Syria, Iraq air strikes Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Clapper to intel community: You’ve done great work … on ISIS Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Cindy Sheehan: Let’s face it, some liberals support Obama’s wars because of reverse racism Allahpundit 3 hours ago