Toll roads are appealing to many on the right, because the fees don't look like taxes; motorists are charged for the voluntary action of driving on a specific road. Toll roads appear to be run by private entities, not the government. Also known as turnpikes, they are becoming an increasingly popular way to raise money to build roads, instead of increasing gas taxes which have traditionally paid for highways. Gas tax revenues only have about one-third the buying power they did a decade ago, insufficient to build new roads or maintain existing ones. There are now 5,244 miles of toll roads...
Heavier cars generally get lower gas mileage than lighter cars. Heavier cars generally do more wear and tear to the roads than lighter cars. The more miles you drive the more wear and tear you do to the roads. The gas tax for the purpose of maintaining roads is about as perfect as a tax can be. Toll roads are ridiculous. I could maybe make an argument that tolls for bridges are ridiculous as well. Thanks for the article!
- America’s new labor battle: SEIU versus … Media Matters Allahpundit 12 minutes ago
- Thursday TEMS: Duane Patterson, Phelim McAleer, Rep. Marsha Blackburn, Collin Raye Ed Morrissey 42 minutes ago
- Video: Obama declines to endorse Biden for 2016 Ed Morrissey 53 minutes ago
- Slate’s Dickerson: Obama deceptions might be a deliberate attention-diverting strategy Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- New Bloomberg umbrella gun-control group’s first ad: Are your children safe? Erika Johnsen 2 hours ago
- Report: Jewish residents being forced to “register” by pro-Russian militants in eastern Ukrainian city; Update: U.S. ambassador confirms; Update: Hoax? Allahpundit 2 hours ago