Toll roads are appealing to many on the right, because the fees don't look like taxes; motorists are charged for the voluntary action of driving on a specific road. Toll roads appear to be run by private entities, not the government. Also known as turnpikes, they are becoming an increasingly popular way to raise money to build roads, instead of increasing gas taxes which have traditionally paid for highways. Gas tax revenues only have about one-third the buying power they did a decade ago, insufficient to build new roads or maintain existing ones. There are now 5,244 miles of toll roads...
Heavier cars generally get lower gas mileage than lighter cars. Heavier cars generally do more wear and tear to the roads than lighter cars. The more miles you drive the more wear and tear you do to the roads. The gas tax for the purpose of maintaining roads is about as perfect as a tax can be. Toll roads are ridiculous. I could maybe make an argument that tolls for bridges are ridiculous as well. Thanks for the article!
- In New York City, a safety regulation makes the streets less safe Mary Katharine Ham 42 mins ago
- Federal investigators find no connection between Christie and Bridgegate Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Boehner: You know what would help our economy? Immigration reform Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- White House: It’s not combat, but US troops will return fire if they’re shot at… Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Stemwinder: Rand Paul rips Obama’s Syria plan, McCain, Kerry, Hillary, interventionists, anti-war hypocrites, you name it Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Congressman: The CIA thinks Obama’s strategy of arming Syrian moderates is “doomed to failure” Allahpundit 4 hours ago