What's wrong with using moving averages to assess trends in economic data? After all, it's a practice that is endorsed by the Federal Reserve.
That question arises today because of the WSJ's Josh Mitchell's analysis from last Friday, which suggests that initial jobless claims are trending down:
The number of Americans applying for unemployment insurance has fallen sharply since summer. The four-week moving average...
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- WMD in Iraq a rather nuanced issue Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Perry: Rand Paul’s position on Iraq is “disheartening … curiously blind” Ed Morrissey 4 hours ago
- Joni Ernst will miss two weeks on the campaign trail… to serve in uniform Jazz Shaw 5 hours ago
- UN Security Council issues non-binding call for cease fire in Gaza Ed Morrissey 7 hours ago
- UAW decides to skip election and form union at VW anyway Jazz Shaw 8 hours ago