The White House is promoting the extension of the Bush Tax Cuts for the middle class (which should really be called the Obama-Bush Tax cuts, since Obama extended them in 2010) as exactly that, tax cuts. But the truth is, an extension of the tax cuts wouldn't be a cut at all, but would keep tax rates at the current rate. The Obama admnistration is implying on the official WhiteHouse.gov website that a tax cut is coming for the middle class when in reality if a deal is made by January 1, middle class families won't see a tax...
In response to:
Obama Administration Misleads the Country on Tax "Cuts" Katie, that is a FACTUALLY FALSE statement! Under CURRENT LAW (that is, if congress does NOTHING to change it), on January 1, 2013 tax rates will revert to the rates in place PRIOR to the enactment of the Bush tax cuts. This fact that congress must ENACT LEGISLATION to keep the the rates from reverting to pre-Bush tax cuts does in fact mean that extending the current rates past December 31, 2012 is a TAX CUT! Here's your test - whatever claim you make about policy add the words "relative to CURRENT law" and that will put your "claim" in perspective. Whether is "SEEMS" that way and whether or not you LIKE it, it is a 100% FACTUALLY TRUE statement!
- A Christian conundrum in conservative rhetoric? Ed Morrissey 17 mins ago
- Sanitizing terror: Has the press distorted Islamic radical’s crusade against gay men? Noah Rothman 56 mins ago
- Family friend tells WaPo: Yes, Darren Wilson did suffer an eye socket fracture Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Let’s play ‘What if a GOP’er Said It’ with Harry Reid’s racially insensitive jokes Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- NATO: Russia has moved artillery units and personnel into Ukraine Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Hamas executes “collaborators” as Israeli air strikes target leadership Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago