I saw this coming several years ago. I cashed in my IRA and drove north and opened a RSP (Canadian equivalent of an IRA) with TD Bank. There are quite a few TD bank branches in the Northern U.S. as well at TDAmeritrade (all owned by Toronto Dominion), but DON'T OPEN IT IN A u.s. BRANCH. The American government can empty any account that is centered in the U.S. The Canadian economy is flourishing and their dollar is on a par with the U.S. dollar. For the past six months it has been worth more. There is NO bank in Canada that is on shaky ground. The country is a net exporter and manufacturer of goods. Nothing has been off-shored and unemployment is about two percentage points below the U.S.
You were shocked - SHOCKED, you say - at the very idea that the government of Cyprus would order banks to seize 10% of every bank account and hand the money over the government? Well … excuse me for being rude, but maybe if you had been spending a better part of the last 20 years paying attention to the atrocities that happen with nauseating regularity in Washington, instead of going into an annual swoon over March Madness and/or the Oscars, or blindly tuning in to Entertainment Tonight every evening rather than an actual newscast, you might have seen this...
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Of course: 2014 Obama’s position on Ex-Im Bank is the opposite of 2008 Obama’s Mary Katharine Ham 3 hours ago
- Wes Clark: Clinton had an opportunity to go in on the ground to get Bin Laden but it was “a lot of logistics” Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- I guess we need to talk about Joe Biden skinny dipping, huh? Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- Obama: This congressional deadlock on immigration means “I’m going to have to act alone” Allahpundit 5 hours ago
- TEMS Friday: Guest hosting the Hugh Hewitt Show Ed Morrissey 5 hours ago