I saw this coming several years ago. I cashed in my IRA and drove north and opened a RSP (Canadian equivalent of an IRA) with TD Bank. There are quite a few TD bank branches in the Northern U.S. as well at TDAmeritrade (all owned by Toronto Dominion), but DON'T OPEN IT IN A u.s. BRANCH. The American government can empty any account that is centered in the U.S. The Canadian economy is flourishing and their dollar is on a par with the U.S. dollar. For the past six months it has been worth more. There is NO bank in Canada that is on shaky ground. The country is a net exporter and manufacturer of goods. Nothing has been off-shored and unemployment is about two percentage points below the U.S.
You were shocked - SHOCKED, you say - at the very idea that the government of Cyprus would order banks to seize 10% of every bank account and hand the money over the government? Well … excuse me for being rude, but maybe if you had been spending a better part of the last 20 years paying attention to the atrocities that happen with nauseating regularity in Washington, instead of going into an annual swoon over March Madness and/or the Oscars, or blindly tuning in to Entertainment Tonight every evening rather than an actual newscast, you might have seen this...
- Ukraine Easter truce collapses, three dead at pro-Russian separatist checkpoint Ed Morrissey 32 minutes ago
- Attkisson: CBS News too “ideologically entrenched” to air stories critical of the Obama administration Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- DNC chairwoman: What, politics influencing the president’s Keystone XL delay? Nahhh. Erika Johnsen 15 hours ago
- Oklahoma will charge homeowners who generate their own power Jazz Shaw 18 hours ago
- Modern tales of the Good Samaritan Jazz Shaw 21 hours ago
- Gosnell Movie crosses the million-dollar mark Ed Morrissey 23 hours ago