The white smoke and ringing bells announced to the world that the cardinal electors had chosen a new pope, and about an hour later, Jorge Cardinal Bergoglio took St. Peter's balcony as Pope Francis I. He has the distinction of being the first pope from the Americas, as he is an Argentinian of Italian descent. He formerly served as the head of the Jesuit order, as well as Archbishop of Buenos Aires, and is currently 75 years old. Pope John Paul II named him a cardinal. He is said to be known for his humility and devotion to simplicity, which...
In response to:
If I remember correctly, the instruction was that they the landowner wasn't to go back through his fields and pick up the small random remnants of wheat that were still left in the field after reaping. The poor would have actually had to work hard at picking it up by hand, little by little. Someone else can probably explain it better, but that's hardly EBT.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Breaking: Pentagon reports first airstrikes in Syria Update: Coalition Arab countries added Mary Katharine Ham 2 hours ago
- Issa: Americans deserve to hear from Lerner under oath, not in the press Mary Katharine Ham 3 hours ago
- Poll: Plurality now think businesses that provide wedding services should be required to serve gay weddings too Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Poet: I would have died for my aborted daughter’s right to choose, just like she died for mine Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- Resurrected monster General Motors is still killing people Noah Rothman 5 hours ago