After the grisly massacre in Colorado no one will attend weekend showings of The Dark Knight Rises with expectations of a rollicking, uplifting, feel-good night at the movies. But even before its association with horrifying images of real-life mass murder, this final installment in the current Batman series suffered from serious deficiencies in terms of its fun factor. It’s wrong to suggest that the movie provoked the killings in its midnight Aurora premiere, but those crimes do, in a sense, expose the nihilistic darkness at the heart of the film...
There is a cure. Our forefathers knew it well and even ensrined it in our Constitution. "A well regulated militia, (thats trained not government controlled btw) being necessesary to a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." Those people in that theater were certainly not free while the shooter controlled their actions. Had they all been armed, as intended by our founders, the shooter would not have walked in. Shooters like him LIKE "gun-free zones"
Editors' note: this column originally appeared at the Daily Beast.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 8 hours ago
- There will be nothing from the president tonight on the beheading of an American journalist Update: Statement tomorrow Mary Katharine Ham 8 hours ago
- Spot the problems with these headlines: NYT edition Mary Katharine Ham 9 hours ago
- Video: The day John McCain did the robot Allahpundit 10 hours ago
- Poll: 82% think it should be illegal to let your nine-year-old play at the park unsupervised Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- “Heads up high”: The Cumberland Little League consolation speech Allahpundit 12 hours ago