After the grisly massacre in Colorado no one will attend weekend showings of The Dark Knight Rises with expectations of a rollicking, uplifting, feel-good night at the movies. But even before its association with horrifying images of real-life mass murder, this final installment in the current Batman series suffered from serious deficiencies in terms of its fun factor. It’s wrong to suggest that the movie provoked the killings in its midnight Aurora premiere, but those crimes do, in a sense, expose the nihilistic darkness at the heart of the film...
There is a cure. Our forefathers knew it well and even ensrined it in our Constitution. "A well regulated militia, (thats trained not government controlled btw) being necessesary to a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." Those people in that theater were certainly not free while the shooter controlled their actions. Had they all been armed, as intended by our founders, the shooter would not have walked in. Shooters like him LIKE "gun-free zones"
Editors' note: this column originally appeared at the Daily Beast.
- Report: Oregon is about to give up on its ObamaCare exchange Erika Johnsen 20 minutes ago
- Captain Kirk: Give Hillary the conn Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Dumb new controversy: Should the 9/11 Museum mention jihad? Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Thursday TEMS: Duane Patterson, Gabby Franco & Nikki Turpeaux, Steven Crowder, Ashley McGuire Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Has Obama decided to reject the Keystone XL pipeline already? Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Must see: Phoenix VA maintains “secret waiting list” while sick veterans languish and die Allahpundit 3 hours ago