To the detriment of our country, that's unfortunately not true.

Newer New Math

Vapor_Trails Wrote: Oct 03, 2014 3:48 PM
I teach math. There is an over-sized post card of Reagan on my little fridge in my classroom. I am OK with most of the Common Core math standards. I am NOT OK with how many districts are implementing it. There is FAR MORE wrong with our education system (and our current culture in general) than just which methods we use to teach our kids basic arithmetic.

The Armpit of Academia

Vapor_Trails Wrote: Sep 12, 2014 2:54 PM
Darby must have a degree that ends in "Studies"...

World Leader Pretend

Vapor_Trails Wrote: Sep 05, 2014 6:23 PM
Yup. That's about right. Ever try to figure out those dreary 90's grunge band lyrics? It was the worst drivel ever. But, I still loved it.

The Biggest Scandal In U.S. History

Vapor_Trails Wrote: Jun 12, 2014 3:22 PM
It wouldn't surprise me a bit if we could prove beyond any doubt Obama was born in Kenya. However, his mom is an American citizen. In my mind it doesn't matter who a United States Citizen marries, or where the children are born, a child of a U.S. citizen is also a U.S. citizen. However, while I personally do not question Obama's citizenship I believe to my very core that he is not an "American"! So, yes, he is a foreigner.
Hindsight, and the Obama Administration have really demonstrated just how strong of a leader Reagan was. I truly hope all the people who stayed home in 2012 and allowed a second Obama term will show up in 2016 and put adults back in charge.

Ready For Hillary?

Vapor_Trails Wrote: Jun 12, 2014 1:12 PM
I don't think so. We should not forget that Obama did not win a second term in the same way he won the first. Romney LOST. Far more people voted for McCain in 08 than did for Romney in 12. The 'Religious Right' decided they couldn't vote for a right-leaning moderate and instead insisted that a quasi-tyrant win a second term.

Ready For Hillary?

Vapor_Trails Wrote: Jun 12, 2014 12:49 PM
Quote rnaber: "Does no republican have their finger on the pulse of the country? Let this Libertarian, who does have his finger on the pulse of the country, inform ya'll. Hillary will COAST into the White House. Socialism has won. IT'S ALL OVER FOLKS!!!!" I'm concerned you are correct, but I'm not as convinced as you. The 2014 congressional elections will be a sweeping victory for the Republican Party. Well, perhaps more a rejection of the Democrat Party. I think the true test of our nation's future will be the 2016 Presidential election. Remember how we were in the late 70's? It seemed then that all hope was lost. But, then Reagan handily won twice; three times, actually until Bush 41 rasied taxes. If the country has not learned its lesson about liberalism from the Obama Administration then I agree with you that it will be over for our once great nation.
We'll said. I completely agree.
Education Standards are separated into two categories: Teaching Methods and Content Standards. Thirty years ago education started focusing more on children’s self esteem and less on accomplishment. That really didn’t work (obviously) and was replaced by No Child Left Behind. That focused mainly on memorize, drill, test, repeat. Test scores went up but problem solving and comprehension stayed low. Now we have Common Core. The actual teaching methods are a return to problem-solving and comprehension based teaching methods. Which, having read them for my subject areas, I am very pleased to be adopting. And that is what many GOP members and non-liberal folks in general are supporting. It used to be the STAR test that all students took. Read the booklet and bubble in the answer. We’ve been taking that test for generations. And it is basically one company out of Iowa that runs it. Now it’s a different company offering the tests online instead of booklets. It’s the same old crony-capitalism, just now it’s come into the internet age. The problem is with Common Core is not new. Left wing academic loons get a hold of the Content Standards and create outlandish lessons like “Many people claim the holocaust didn’t happen…” or “Introducing Homosexuality and Bisexuality to first graders” and on and on. Where the Right Wing goes wrong is in fighting Common Core specifically and not taking on the larger, and much more important, fight to get the federal government out of public education altogether. If you actually read the Teaching Methods of (California’s anyway) Common Core you’d probably approve. http://www.cde.ca.gov/be/st/ss/documents/ccssmathstandardaug2013.pdf Here’s an excerpt from California 8th grade math: Work with radicals and integer exponents. 1. Know and apply the properties of integer exponents to generate equivalent numerical expressions. For example, 32 × 3–5 = 3–3 = 1/33 = 1/27. 2. Use square root and cube root symbols to represent solutions to equations of the form x2 = p and x3 = p, where p is a positive rational number. Evaluate square roots of small perfect squares and cube roots of small perfect cubes. Know that v2 is irrational. 3. Use numbers expressed in the form of a single digit times an integer power of 10 to estimate very large or very small quantities, and to express how many times as much one is than the other. For example, estimate the population of the United States as 3 × 108 and the population of the world as 7 × 109, and determine that the world population is more than 20 times larger. 4. Perform operations with numbers expressed in scientific notation, including problems where both decimal and scientific notation are used. Use scientific notation and choose units of appropriate size for measurements of very large or very small quantities (e.g., use millimeters per year for seafloor spreading). Interpret scientific notation that has been generated by technology.