Since Barack Obama's re-election, hundreds...
Just an aside: Sickles went on to serve as a politically appointed general during the war. His appointment was almost a given. Secretary of War Edwin Stanton had previously successfully defended Sickles against a murder charge for killing his wife's lover, Francis Barton Key. First successful case of temporary insanity. Later Sickles incompetently led his men out from the line into the peach orchard at Gettysburg where they were mauled by confederate flanking fire. Sickles' leg was shattered by a 12-pounder solid shot and had to be amputated. The leg is still on display today at Walter Reed Army Medical Center. Sickles visited his leg every year until his death.
For decades, it has been obvious that there are irreconcilable differences between Americans who want to control the lives of others and those who wish to be left alone. Which is the more peaceful solution: Americans using the brute force of government to beat liberty-minded people into submission or simply parting company? In a marriage, where vows are ignored and broken, divorce is the most peaceful solution. Similarly, our constitutional and human rights have been increasingly violated by a government instituted to protect them. Americans who support constitutional abrogation have no intention of mending their ways.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Sotloff “fixer”: Americans never contacted me after his abduction Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- David Cameron to Scotland: Baby, don’t go. Mary Katharine Ham 3 hours ago
- Confirmed: You can tell someone’s politics by their body odor Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- Oh my: I think Romney’s going to run, says top Wall Street backer Allahpundit 5 hours ago
- Election forecasters bearish on GOP? Senate models looking more Democratic by the day Noah Rothman 6 hours ago