Holt is milquetoast. Lukewarm at best. I can't see him making a go of it, but I could be wrong. I know I won't be watching. Then again, I already wasn't watching Williams, who I've always thought came across as a bit too sanctimonious for my taste.

Borrowed Valor

USNbubblehead Wrote: Feb 06, 2015 10:36 AM
I would agree with most of your post, but I certainly disagree with this statement: " Any 30-year-old, married solder who is fighting in the thick of things in any war MUST justify that action with serious and all-encompassing hatred for The Enemy. Otherwise he just couldn't do it. " In America's military he could, and would, do it without the motivations of hatred. Why? Because he is a professional soldier and that's his job. Military members of all ages are quite proud to say that they did their jobs regardless of the circumstances. However dangerous the situation and however scared they are, the vast majority of military members do their duty. I can also tell you that the married guy knows that if he gets KIA, he is providing the ultimate example of personal sacrifice for his wife and children. Yes, a great many actually believe this. Obviously, this applies to all service members, regardless of gender.

Stormy Weather and Politics

USNbubblehead Wrote: Feb 03, 2015 12:19 PM
Many of us up here in northern New England long ago came to realize that the hype about 'super storms' was more about economics rather than meteorology. It goes something like this: Media outlets make their money by selling advertising space. And what kind of advertisers buy this ad space? Retailers and purveyors of staple goods. And what do people need to stock up on when a big storm moves in? You guessed it; retail products and staple goods. Hmmm.... So, you see, they're not just weathermen, they're businessmen. $Cha-ching! I didn't do anything different this time than I did for the last 20 nor'easters.

Lost Words, Lost Worlds

USNbubblehead Wrote: Jan 31, 2015 2:29 PM
"Poor Mrs. Miniver would doubtless be appalled at the threadbare state of the English vocabulary today. We all should be." This is why I try not to have in-depth discussion with very many people these days. Especially with those of differing opinions. Everyone tries to play 'gotcha' with every turn of phrase and the deeper meaning is ignored. Instead of an exchange of ideas, conversations these days are more like a battle of wits, played with today's contemporary PC rules. I see nothing to be gained from it.
"There’s no denying climate change, as average surface temperatures are about 1.4°F warmer than they were in the 1860’s, when there were enough reliable weather stations to make an accurate estimate." Lost me right there. Oh, sure, the climate IS changing. Just as it has for billions of years. Considering that the actual history is that long, trying to establish trends with only 150 years of data is ludicrous. Merely a blink of an eye, in the grand scheme of things.

Shoveling Science

USNbubblehead Wrote: Jan 29, 2015 11:48 AM
I gotta tell you, when they say 'east coast,' they typically stop at the N.H. - MA border. Most of the city-ots (rhymes with idiots) think there's nothing but trees north of Boston. And to be quite honest, we kind of like it that way.

Shoveling Science

USNbubblehead Wrote: Jan 29, 2015 11:36 AM
"There’s no way to prove what will happen in 100 years, but more importantly to this doomsday cult, there’s no way to disprove it either. And, they add, wouldn’t you really rather err on the side of caution? After all, what about the children?" If they cared about 'the children,' then why are we running up a national debt that even THEIR kids will have to pay off? Seems a little contradictory, wouldn't you say?

Shoveling Science

USNbubblehead Wrote: Jan 29, 2015 10:12 AM
Actually, we kind of laugh at all the hype up here in northern New England (N.H., ME, VT). With typical Yankee cynicism, we kind of figured out the straight line through all the hype some time ago. It goes like this: How do these media outlets make their money? They sell advertizing 'space.' What, specifically is advertised? Retail products, including staple goods. What do you need to have enough of if stranded in your home during a blizzard? You guessed it; retail products and staple goods. It ain't rocket science (or meteorology, for that matter), it just business.
"The Rev. Al Sharpton recently met with Sony co-studio head Amy Pascal over her alleged "racially insensitive" emails. Interestingly, after Sharpton's meeting, talk of Pascal losing her job seemed to die down. Maybe the Rev can put in a word for Eastwood." I doubt Sharpton would be able to get Eastwood to pay him off as easy as he did pascal. I bet Clint would tell him to F-off.
And when the government decided to abolish the helium reserve, this guy went on a rant about keeping it because he couldn't "imagine a life without balloons." No kidding. He and Sheila Jackson Lee are the brain-trust of their caucus, that's for sure.
I would just as quickly add that there easily could be someone else just as bad; HRC. And because she'll end up looking far more moderate than this clown (although she certainly is NOT), she may get a lot of support from those lefties disillusioned with 0. That could make her, in fact, even worse than the minaret MoFo.