This is an interesting take on contemporary political writing. Let's dissect it a a bit.
1. Hagel once mentioned the 'Jewish Lobby'.
2. He should have said 'Israel Lobby'.
3. I'll smear him by brining up a totally different person who once said 'F--- the Jews."
4. Hagel didn't say this, but whatever.
1. Yes, the defense budget is bloated.
Therefore, we should not cut it. How do we get to this conclusion? We rename cutting (or 'paring, as Hegel said in the quote Cal provided) as 'dismembering'.
But what about "Strategically, critically examining it?" That would lead to (unnamed, scare-quoted) "Dire consequences."