Many other countries have very strict gun control laws. Here are a few:
1. 1996 - Britain - 16 children and teacher shot and killed.
2. 1996 - Australia - 35 shot and killed at Port Arthur.
3. 2002 - Germany - student shoots 12 teachers and others totaling 16.
4. 2008 - Finland - student shoots and kills 9 other students and a teacher.
5. 2011 - Netherlands - shooter kills six and himself in mall.
6. 2011 - Norway - shooter kills 69, most of them children.
7. 2011 - Belgium - shooter kills 5 and injures 121.
These countries all have fairly strict gun control laws, which didn't seem to stop the killings.
On the other hand, Switzerland has huge numbers of privately owned guns, yet has a very low murder rate.