Doug3370 Wrote:
Nov 10, 2012 9:04 AM
For now, the House of Representatives is majority Republican. But that's an artifact. Democrats insisted, some time black, that congressional districts be drawn so as to create safely minority districts. Republicans obliged, and obliged big-time. These minority districts are heavily minority. What this means is that the Democrats are wasting votes. To win a district by a lopsided 80% vote is to lose the chance to schlep 20% of that vote into a swing district and carry it too. If congressional districts were drawn without carving out super-safe minority districts, Democrats would win quite a few more seats, with the same number of votes.