So, what should have happened?
1. Act on credible evidence of the attack prior to the event.
2. Secure intelligence data so that it cannot be compromised, especially regarding local human assets.
3. In the event of an attack, secure the site within hours, with a massive show of force.
4. Express extreme outrage -- not "a bump in the road"
5. Aggressively work to identify the perpetrators.
6. Meet out justice.
7. Make abundantly clear such acts will not be tolerated, but met with swift and withering response.