There is a dirty secret about state entitlements that liberals don’t want you to know. The collection of a state pension increases the chances that a pensioner will live in poverty. That’s because money put aside for state-guaranteed benefits can not be safely invested at rates that provide for more than a modest retirement unless the state subsidizes retirement benefits through taxes or if retirement savings are invested in riskier, higher yielding investments. Since governments are loath to raise taxes to subsidize a riskless retirement, benefits are eventually reduced. It works that way in London and Moscow as well as Madison...
A.) Your take on conservativism makes no sense. Free enterprise requires us be free to offer pensions, and a poor decision to fail. The problem with government pensions ought to be obvious. B.) Financial acumen: taught by a government school system in a free society that should take our lumps rather than be coddled by sheep with a vote that we might learn from our mistakes. C.) You start with conservatives and then switch to Republicans....which is it? You seem to want government enough to take care of a nation of problems which it created. Recent and current experience on how well that will work be damned. Maybe it be you who could use increased acumen...?
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Meet the laywers defending “campus rapists” Jazz Shaw 5 hours ago
- Iran executes 967th person under Hassan Rouhani. And it’s a woman Jazz Shaw 6 hours ago
- Chris McDaniel appeal rejected in state supreme court Jazz Shaw 8 hours ago
- Video: Palin-bashing CNN anchor claimed Michelle Obama signed bill into law Ed Morrissey 9 hours ago
- Everything is changing after Ferguson, and it should Jazz Shaw 11 hours ago