First, some points about the limits of polls. Random sample polling is an imprecise instrument. There's an error margin of 3 or 4 percent, and polling theory tells us that one out of 20 polls is wrong, with results outside the margin of error. Sometimes it's easy to spot such an...
I would like to see a poll in the swing states that identifies "swing/independent" voters who voted for Obama in '08 and asks: How likely are you to vote in '12? Will you vote for Obama in '12? If a large percentage of such voters in swing states are motivated to vote against Obama, he's toast.
As a recovering pollster (I worked for Democratic pollster Peter Hart from 1974 to 1981), let me weigh in on the controversy over whether the polls are accurate. Many conservatives are claiming that multiple polls have overly Democratic samples, and some charge that media pollsters are trying to discourage Republican voters.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 12 hours ago
- Last straw: ObamaCare now ruining baseball Mary Katharine Ham 13 hours ago
- US reconfirms policy of not paying ransoms to terrorists for abducted Americans Ed Morrissey 13 hours ago
- Jake Tapper: Getting a conviction against Darren Wilson could be an ‘uphill battle’ Noah Rothman 14 hours ago
- NYT poll: 65% of whites, 80% of blacks say police shouldn’t have military-style weapons Allahpundit 15 hours ago
- In effort to shield Obama from criticism on ISIS, White House makes everything worse Noah Rothman 15 hours ago