After the grisly massacre in Colorado no one will attend weekend showings of The Dark Knight Rises with expectations of a rollicking, uplifting, feel-good night at the movies. But even before its association with horrifying images of real-life mass murder, this final installment in the current Batman series suffered from serious deficiencies in terms of its fun factor. It’s wrong to suggest that the movie provoked the killings in its midnight Aurora premiere, but those crimes do, in a sense, expose the nihilistic darkness at the heart of the film...
All the hand-wringing is of no consequence. Such violent criminal acts cannot be stopped by gun control, looking for red flags, or blaming malaise in our culture. These cruel acts will recur because of the shadow over the human heart, the horror that dwells in the depths of every human psyche. There will never be a dearth of evil.
Editors' note: this column originally appeared at the Daily Beast.
- Obama orders American ‘military advisors’ to support Ukraine against pro-Russian rebels Noah Rothman 58 minutes ago
- “Gas the Jews”: Supporters of Hamas run riot in French city, smash Jewish shops Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Investigation reveals Obamacare is a fraudster’s dream come true Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Ukraine rebel leader: Yeah, we had a BUK system — and sent it back to Russia Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Did Cuomo obstruct his own anti-corruption crusade? Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Planned Parenthood teen sex education: You could get tied to a tree … Ed Morrissey 4 hours ago