After the grisly massacre in Colorado no one will attend weekend showings of The Dark Knight Rises with expectations of a rollicking, uplifting, feel-good night at the movies. But even before its association with horrifying images of real-life mass murder, this final installment in the current Batman series suffered from serious deficiencies in terms of its fun factor. It’s wrong to suggest that the movie provoked the killings in its midnight Aurora premiere, but those crimes do, in a sense, expose the nihilistic darkness at the heart of the film...
All the hand-wringing is of no consequence. Such violent criminal acts cannot be stopped by gun control, looking for red flags, or blaming malaise in our culture. These cruel acts will recur because of the shadow over the human heart, the horror that dwells in the depths of every human psyche. There will never be a dearth of evil.
Editors' note: this column originally appeared at the Daily Beast.
- Quotes of the Day Jazz Shaw 9 hours ago
- Would-be victim delivering pizza thwarts would-be robbery with her concealed weapon Erika Johnsen 11 hours ago
- Christie jacking up tax on e-cigarettes Jazz Shaw 14 hours ago
- Interview with Al Baldasaro Jazz Shaw 15 hours ago
- How many people have died from GM ignition-switch defect? Ed Morrissey 17 hours ago