After the grisly massacre in Colorado no one will attend weekend showings of The Dark Knight Rises with expectations of a rollicking, uplifting, feel-good night at the movies. But even before its association with horrifying images of real-life mass murder, this final installment in the current Batman series suffered from serious deficiencies in terms of its fun factor. It’s wrong to suggest that the movie provoked the killings in its midnight Aurora premiere, but those crimes do, in a sense, expose the nihilistic darkness at the heart of the film...
All the hand-wringing is of no consequence. Such violent criminal acts cannot be stopped by gun control, looking for red flags, or blaming malaise in our culture. These cruel acts will recur because of the shadow over the human heart, the horror that dwells in the depths of every human psyche. There will never be a dearth of evil.
Editors' note: this column originally appeared at the Daily Beast.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 30 mins ago
- Priorities: Germany bans Uber, ride-sharing services Mary Katharine Ham 1 hour ago
- Breaking: Obama approves sending 350 more troops back into Baghdad Mary Katharine Ham 2 hour ago
- ESPN poll: 71% support team keeping “Redskins” name — including 53% of liberals Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Brutal Ad: Mary Landrieu’s tireless representation of her true home town Guy Benson 3 hours ago
- Chris Christie thinks Putin wouldn’t test him like he does Obama, and that’s driving liberals nuts Noah Rothman 3 hours ago