One of the strongest elements of Mitt Romney's spectacular debate performance was his decisive rejoinder to the president's oft-repeated allegation that the Republican plans to raise taxes on middle class families. Obama said Romney has designs on an unpaid-for $5 trillion tax cut that would eventually necessitate higher tax bills for average Americans. Romney flatly rejected the claim by calling it false, then explained what he actually has in mind. But the president returned to the "$5 trillion" well on several subsequent occasions, prompting more rebuttals from his challenger. FactCheck.org and CNN reviewed Obama's accusation, and found it wanting....
In response to:
About 70% of the viewers of the debate thought that without a doubt Romney won the debate. Now, the next line the DNC comes up with is that he, Romney, was lying! That's the best they can come up with. Even when reputable sources fact checked the debate, Romney came out ahead. Next thing up, the Obummer campaign motto is, "Don't believe your lying eyes are ears."
- White House now leaning on Eric Holder to play the role of racial healer? Noah Rothman 20 mins ago
- WaPo: Was Foley’s killer a former Gitmo detainee? Ed Morrissey 59 mins ago
- Everything has changed after the execution of James Foley by ISIS Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 10 hours ago
- There will be nothing from the president tonight on the beheading of an American journalist Update: Statement tomorrow Mary Katharine Ham 11 hours ago
- Spot the problems with these headlines: NYT edition Mary Katharine Ham 12 hours ago