Still, at one time, the media, without reservation, gave credit to Gingrich for making a balanced budget a priority -- and for pushing Clinton toward the center to achieve it. Back then, even when writing negatively about Gingrich, the major media routinely credited Gingrich with pushing a recalcitrant President Clinton toward...
IMHO, neither Clinton or Gingrich balanced the budget. The budget was balanced thanks to the bubble in the nasdaq which was caused in part by a change to banking rules. In 1994, banks were suddenly allowed to keep essentially nothing in reserve as they swept money from account to account. That sudden influx of cash had to go somewhere. It went into hedge funds (eg LTCM) and daytrader accounts. It shouldn't be a surprise that the gov't's income (and spending) increased substantially during the bubble years and deflated (just the income) slowly as bagholders dutifully subtracted 3k from their income for years afterward. Clinton and Newt balanced the budget. Unfortunatey their new economy had all the permanence of a breath on a mirror.
When Bill Clinton spoke at the Democratic National Convention, he took credit for balancing the budget. That Clinton basked in his achievement, of course, surprises no one. Nor is it surprising the media failed to remind people of former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, R-Ga., and his role in pulling this off.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Video: Happy (The Remy Tax Day Edition) Mary Katharine Ham 3 hours ago
- Should Mike Anderson III go free? Mary Katharine Ham 4 hours ago
- Krauthammer: Can we all remember that we have added $7 trillion to the debt in 5 years, please? Erika Johnsen 5 hours ago
- State legislators: Hey, you know what we really need right now? More federal land! Erika Johnsen 6 hours ago
- CBO: ObamaCare premiums and healthcare spending will rise by less than expected, because… Erika Johnsen 7 hours ago