When 1950s comedian Lenny Bruce titillated his audiences with the F-word and crude sex talk, liberals came to his defense. They reminded us that vulgar speech is not a crime: The First Amendment was not just designed to protect uplifting expression, but also rarer blasphemous and indecent...
I just accidently flagged the Joseph64's comment from 12:27 p.m. I did not mean to flag it. It was a finger foul-up. I apologize.
The American Left used to champion free expression. We were lectured -- correctly -- that the price of being repulsed by occasional crude talk and art was worth paying. Only that way could Americans ensure our daily right to criticize those with greater power and influence whom we found wrong and objectionable.
- CPAC interviews: The candidates Ed Morrissey 4 minutes ago
- Amazing: Leader of authoritarian gulag state unanimously “elected” with 100 percent voter turnout Erika Johnsen 44 minutes ago
- Snowden Q&A overshadowed at SXSW by … Girls Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Russian ambassador: We’re making it easier for Latvian ethnic Russians to get citizenship Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Let the primaries begin: Rand Paul, Ted Cruz battle over foreign policy Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- True Detective finale: greatest miniseries end ever? Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago