When 1950s comedian Lenny Bruce titillated his audiences with the F-word and crude sex talk, liberals came to his defense. They reminded us that vulgar speech is not a crime: The First Amendment was not just designed to protect uplifting expression, but also rarer blasphemous and indecent...
I just accidently flagged the Joseph64's comment from 12:27 p.m. I did not mean to flag it. It was a finger foul-up. I apologize.
The American Left used to champion free expression. We were lectured -- correctly -- that the price of being repulsed by occasional crude talk and art was worth paying. Only that way could Americans ensure our daily right to criticize those with greater power and influence whom we found wrong and objectionable.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 7 hours ago
- John Roberts doesn’t believe either Scalia or Ginsburg could be confirmed today Jazz Shaw 9 hours ago
- Publisher rips New York Times for snubbing David Limbaugh’s book Noah Rothman 10 hours ago
- How to lose a war before it begins Noah Rothman 12 hours ago
- Putin: I could have troops in Kiev… Warsaw and Bucharest Jazz Shaw 13 hours ago
- NFL Week 3 open thread Ed Morrissey 15 hours ago