When 1950s comedian Lenny Bruce titillated his audiences with the F-word and crude sex talk, liberals came to his defense. They reminded us that vulgar speech is not a crime: The First Amendment was not just designed to protect uplifting expression, but also rarer blasphemous and indecent...
Interesting idea, Doc. I'd like to see that. I've often wondered what those "peaceful people of Islam" would think (or do) if they saw a video of Americans pi$$ing on & burning an effigy of Mohammed and ripping apart & burning their country's flag. ( Hah, especially if those Americans had bikini clad women among them.) Or heaven forbid, what would they do if Americans stormed their embassy and tortured and killed their ambassador?
The American Left used to champion free expression. We were lectured -- correctly -- that the price of being repulsed by occasional crude talk and art was worth paying. Only that way could Americans ensure our daily right to criticize those with greater power and influence whom we found wrong and objectionable.
- Want to go blind with rage? Read this letter from ISIS to the Foley family Noah Rothman 49 mins ago
- “Direct invasion”: Aid convoy enters Ukraine Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- Teamsters appeal to “Top Chef” for employment by threatening to bash in Padma Lakshmi’s face Mary Katharine Ham 11 hours ago
- Rick Perry: It’s entirely possible that ISIS has already crossed the southern border Allahpundit 12 hours ago
- “Today is a miraculous day”: Dr. Kent Brantly speaks after recovering from Ebola Allahpundit 13 hours ago