Among our elites -- journalists, pundits and academics -- liberal Supreme Court justices are always deemed "open-minded," even as they are expected to vote in absolute lockstep liberal fashion. In contrast, a conservative justice is written off as reactionary or...
To gjloggins: Under Justice Roberts tax analysis the power of the Federal Government is unlimited as long as they call its exercise a tax. Under Obamacare the government is taxing the individual for not doing something. Sales taxes are imposed on persons participating in commerce, income and capital gains taxes imposed upon earners. This is a tax for sitting out and doing nothing. According to Robert’s view, the government can fine, penalize or tax under the taxing clause an individual for not eating his broccoli to borrow an example. If citizens can be taxed for doing nothing, what can’t the government require of them? Roberts reasoning or lack thereof runs contrary to the principle of limited government.
Until last week, Chief Justice John Roberts was vilified as the leader of a conservative judicial cabal poised to destroy the Obama presidency by overturning the federal takeover of health care. But with his unexpected affirmation, Roberts suddenly was lauded as the new Earl Warren -- an "evolving" conservative who at last saw the logic of liberal big government.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 7 hours ago
- Again: Exactly which elite, liberal institution does have to live up to the Left’s values? Mary Katharine Ham 9 hours ago
- Detroit suspends water shut-offs for 15 days Allahpundit 9 hours ago
- Through the looking glass: White House that loves using anonymous sources upset at being attacked by anonymous sources Allahpundit 10 hours ago
- Video: The angriest atheist Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- Police protect Jewish students from Pro-Palestinian mob…in Boston Guy Benson 11 hours ago