The white smoke and ringing bells announced to the world that the cardinal electors had chosen a new pope, and about an hour later, Jorge Cardinal Bergoglio took St. Peter's balcony as Pope Francis I. He has the distinction of being the first pope from the Americas, as he is an Argentinian of Italian descent. He formerly served as the head of the Jesuit order, as well as Archbishop of Buenos Aires, and is currently 75 years old. Pope John Paul II named him a cardinal. He is said to be known for his humility and devotion to simplicity, which...
In response to:
For far too long, and far too often much has been made about the man and the position we've come to know as the Pope. I was raised Catholic (much to my loss I might add) and never could figure out why we needed a Pope. I surely hope it wasn't because we were to aspire to him. This guy is held out as a "holy" man. Really? What makes him any more "holy" or "righteous" than ANY Regular Joe/Jane whose been born again? Answer: NOTHING!
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 8 hours ago
- Video: “The Newsroom” final season invites you to relive hackneyed debates of 2013 Mary Katharine Ham 8 hours ago
- Video: First case of Ebola found in the US Ed Morrissey 9 hours ago
- Romney on 2016: “We’ve got a lot of people looking at the race. We’ll see what happens.” Allahpundit 10 hours ago
- NFL apologizes for penalizing player who prayed in end zone Jeff Dunetz 11 hours ago
- Should the next AG be … Republican? Ed Morrissey 11 hours ago