The white smoke and ringing bells announced to the world that the cardinal electors had chosen a new pope, and about an hour later, Jorge Cardinal Bergoglio took St. Peter's balcony as Pope Francis I. He has the distinction of being the first pope from the Americas, as he is an Argentinian of Italian descent. He formerly served as the head of the Jesuit order, as well as Archbishop of Buenos Aires, and is currently 75 years old. Pope John Paul II named him a cardinal. He is said to be known for his humility and devotion to simplicity, which...
In response to:
For far too long, and far too often much has been made about the man and the position we've come to know as the Pope. I was raised Catholic (much to my loss I might add) and never could figure out why we needed a Pope. I surely hope it wasn't because we were to aspire to him. This guy is held out as a "holy" man. Really? What makes him any more "holy" or "righteous" than ANY Regular Joe/Jane whose been born again? Answer: NOTHING!
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- Sally Kohn: How can Israel supporters argue the IDF’s violence is justified, but Hamas’ isn’t? Guy Benson 5 hours ago
- Most transparent administration ever closes Apollo 11 anniversary event to press Mary Katharine Ham 5 hours ago
- Chuck Schumer: What say we have fully open primaries from now on? Allahpundit 6 hours ago
- Univision anchor: No government should be in the business of deporting children Allahpundit 7 hours ago
- Florida dad who beat son’s alleged molester to a pulp: I went to get a butcher knife to finish him off Allahpundit 7 hours ago