The white smoke and ringing bells announced to the world that the cardinal electors had chosen a new pope, and about an hour later, Jorge Cardinal Bergoglio took St. Peter's balcony as Pope Francis I. He has the distinction of being the first pope from the Americas, as he is an Argentinian of Italian descent. He formerly served as the head of the Jesuit order, as well as Archbishop of Buenos Aires, and is currently 75 years old. Pope John Paul II named him a cardinal. He is said to be known for his humility and devotion to simplicity, which...
In response to:
For far too long, and far too often much has been made about the man and the position we've come to know as the Pope. I was raised Catholic (much to my loss I might add) and never could figure out why we needed a Pope. I surely hope it wasn't because we were to aspire to him. This guy is held out as a "holy" man. Really? What makes him any more "holy" or "righteous" than ANY Regular Joe/Jane whose been born again? Answer: NOTHING!
- Putin is invading Ukraine, and he is winning Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Obama’s new power grab: A climate change treaty without Senate ratification Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Two legal guests tell CNN their Brown shooting audio might be a hoax Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- What’s the matter with Kansas? Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Trouble in Paradise: NY Times won’t endorse Andrew Cuomo’s reelection bid Noah Rothman 3 hours ago
- Media curiously silent on “Truthy” Ed Morrissey 4 hours ago