The white smoke and ringing bells announced to the world that the cardinal electors had chosen a new pope, and about an hour later, Jorge Cardinal Bergoglio took St. Peter's balcony as Pope Francis I. He has the distinction of being the first pope from the Americas, as he is an Argentinian of Italian descent. He formerly served as the head of the Jesuit order, as well as Archbishop of Buenos Aires, and is currently 75 years old. Pope John Paul II named him a cardinal. He is said to be known for his humility and devotion to simplicity, which...
In response to:
For far too long, and far too often much has been made about the man and the position we've come to know as the Pope. I was raised Catholic (much to my loss I might add) and never could figure out why we needed a Pope. I surely hope it wasn't because we were to aspire to him. This guy is held out as a "holy" man. Really? What makes him any more "holy" or "righteous" than ANY Regular Joe/Jane whose been born again? Answer: NOTHING!
- DNC chairwoman: What, politics influencing the president’s Keystone XL delay? Nahhh. Erika Johnsen 13 hours ago
- Oklahoma will charge homeowners who generate their own power Jazz Shaw 16 hours ago
- Modern tales of the Good Samaritan Jazz Shaw 19 hours ago
- Gosnell Movie crosses the million-dollar mark Ed Morrissey 21 hours ago
- Open thread: Sunday morning talking heads Allahpundit 23 hours ago
- A blessed and happy Easter Sunday to all Hot Air readers! Ed Morrissey Apr 20, 2014