g: You are absolutely correct that the firing on Fort Sumter was merely a "casus belli" from the point of view of Lincoln, who looked forward to a pretext to suppress the South by force. The Southerners, regrettably, gave it to him by firing on the "old flag." That said, the Border states did not secede until after the firing on Sumter and after Lincoln's call for troops.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 5 hours ago
- Breaking: Pentagon reports first airstrikes in Syria Update: Coalition Arab countries added Mary Katharine Ham 6 hours ago
- Issa: Americans deserve to hear from Lerner under oath, not in the press Mary Katharine Ham 7 hours ago
- Poll: Plurality now think businesses that provide wedding services should be required to serve gay weddings too Allahpundit 7 hours ago
- Poet: I would have died for my aborted daughter’s right to choose, just like she died for mine Allahpundit 8 hours ago
- Resurrected monster General Motors is still killing people Noah Rothman 9 hours ago