g: You are absolutely correct that the firing on Fort Sumter was merely a "casus belli" from the point of view of Lincoln, who looked forward to a pretext to suppress the South by force. The Southerners, regrettably, gave it to him by firing on the "old flag." That said, the Border states did not secede until after the firing on Sumter and after Lincoln's call for troops.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Obama: The world’s always been messy, but now social media is amplifying it Mary Katharine Ham 4 hours ago
- Video: Hot Air exclusive interview with Gov. Rick Perry Ed Morrissey 4 hours ago
- “Walking Dead” grumble thread: Hey, maybe Daryl’s gay Allahpundit 5 hours ago
- Report: ISIS eyeing Mexican border to infiltrate America and execute terrorist attacks Noah Rothman 6 hours ago
- Should Kirsten Gillibrand name the senator who told her “I like my girls chubby”? Allahpundit 6 hours ago